Event #1: Various events and competitions w/carnival rides thrown in, beginning of October, I started the evening of September 30th and worked until the morning of October 12th. A few words that come to mind immediately: flooding, headaches, cold, rock, getting screwed over. Originally I was going to be watching some sound equipment on an outdoor stage, instead I was moved to a tent watching merchandise and a car. There's a slope where I was, so every time it rained or someone in an outdoor booth poured liquid onto the parking lot, it ran in. When this happens, all I can do is watch the water go in the booths. Most of these people in the booths already knew this would occur and did their best to keep items that could be damaged off the ground, but to still see the water run in and me not knowing for sure was bothersome. One night the rain did cause the event to close before I was supposed to come into work, because it had rained all day, the main area where the water was running in had sand bags, and a new spot (not as bad) had shavings, easier on me since that spot was used for golf carts, etc. That night was the easiest one on me, I didn't have to close up (AKA resist the urge to yell, "Get the fuck out, NOW!!!") and the rain kept people away, so I had a much needed nap that night! In terms of security issues, the biggest issues were the walls (they have zippers on them, the only people that used them were ok), one night a door handle was broken off, so that door could not be locked at closing time, but was fixed shortly after, and when everyone was trying to move out there were some problems that my supervisor (MIL) handled like the pro she is (it used to be her post after all). I did have some fun, one night I showed up 2 hours early and rocked out!

Shinedown rocked, as they have every time I've seen them live. Definite highlight for me! (picture from their website)
Event #2: Horse competition, last part of October, I worked the first night it started through the morning of November 1st. This was the second year for my work place to host this event, so the kinks were worked out this time around. I worked in the main arena 11pm-7am. Usually when I showed up, the competitions were over, and started the next day after I left, so all I did was watch some camera and sound equipment. The thing that got me was the fact that I relieved 2 guards, and then 2 guards relieved me! I know why there were 2 for the other shifts, they worked mostly during the competitions, they performed different tasks, some requiring 2 people. I like with what my sister said better, "Your just that good." The last night of the event, a co-worker took the night off, her arena had vendors booths set up and the show office was located there, so I was at her post instead. Much warmer this time around than the other times I worked that post, I would freeze to death in the past, this time the heat was on, I didn't even need my coat this time, let along the extra layers of clothes or the heating blanket! The only issue I had this time around was one night we were under a tornado watch and my arena is one of the shelters, so I had to be prepared to shove people into this hallway, luckily it never came to that.
In terms of my job tasks, work conditions and my hours, the second event kicked the first event's ass! In the fun department, the first event won hands down, how could I vote a horse competition over seeing Shinedown?
Unfortunately, these events are also the end of the busy time of year, I've worked a little bit since then, but for the most part I'll be lucky to get 20 hours a month until May or June rolls around, so now I need to figure out what to do exactly. Vx wants me to take guitar lessons, he gave me one for my birthday about 2 years ago but I have no clue how to play anything on it or how to read the music (definitely not written like clarinet music sheets), I've been going back and forth on school, more in the 'no' direction, its day to day with my leg and my lack of experience in most areas makes it difficult to know what job to try for. I don't have a CLEET license, so many security jobs are out of the equation, that and the whole leg issue, you need to be able to run after someone, stand at a post, or walk around on long patrols, something I can't do at my current job.
No comments:
Post a Comment