Saturday, June 26, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-ins (a day late)


While catching up on blogs, I found many new layouts (looking great ladies!) and a blog for someone I follow on twitter. Wife of a Sailor has a fun meme she just started for Fridays, since I'm just now finding it on a Saturday, I wanted to go ahead and participate a day late. Hope no one minds!

MilSpouse Friday Fill-ins

This week’s questions are:

  1. 1. How did you and your spouse/significant other meet?
  2. At my job, during the huge event at the beginning of October (and sometimes the end of September), he was helping out at it in 2005. I already knew his mom and older sister, and he already knew one of my cousins. Our boss had us posted near each other, he came in my door to use the restroom, etc. and I would step outside by his post to escape hearing the "fried chicken, salad, 7 vegetable medley" sales pitch for the millionth time that day. One night after I helped close up the building, he walked me out to my car, we kissed, and I won't get into the rest of the story, but it's almost been 5 years and we've been married for almost 3.
  3. 2. What is the best thing about being a MilSpouse?
  4. This is tough to answer, I don't get the same benefits as some other MilSpouses since my husband's in the Reserves, (no insurance, housing allowance, living near a real base, etc.) so at times I don't feel like a MilSpouse. When we're out at places and he's either in uniform or wearing an Army shirt, and someone will either thank him or buy our meal (it's happened a few times), I usually giggle (don't know why) but its nice knowing that people appreciate my husband for joining the military, and training to defend our country.
  5. 3. What is the hardest thing about being a MilSpouse?
  6. THE UNCERTAINTY!!! I've spend a great part of the last 2 years thinking my husband's deploying in a few months when it never happens. Everything is last minute, travel pay comes in AFTER he's left, not knowing if he'll be leaving next week or not for something, him coming home unexpectedly (it has happened several times!), not having any friends (military or not) to vent and talk to about all this, and the whole "deployment" thing last year.
  7. 4. What is your favorite dish?
  8. I'm going to assume this is a dish that I don't cook, since most of my cooking involves pulling a frozen tv dinner out of the freezer and sticking it in the oven (cooks better that way). My husband found this awesome marinara sauce recipe online, so when he cooks it and noodles to go with it, it rocks! In a restraunt setting, manicotti has to be my favorite. Teriaki flavored foods are a close second (asian, Red Robin, etc.)
  9. 5. If you could change one thing in this world, what would it be?
  10. Only one??? Hm...the way my life has turned out? Other than the things involving the military and my husband, I've had lots of bad luck that just doesn't seem to run out! I gave up on trying to find a job in the field I have a degree in, my normal summer job was eliminated this year (still pissed about that), the physical pain doesn't seem to ever go away, just move to different areas, living situation (because of the injuries, job stuff and uncertainty w/the Army), and other bull shit.
Sorry if anyone's leaving here depressed (I'm good at doing at apparently), but its nice to get everything out there, and now I will try to go to sleep. Have a good day and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you joined us.. you'll have to post that marinara recipe online!