Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I was featured on someone's blog!

This is a blog entry about me by D. A. Schweiss:


He featured me on his Blog to Blog post, he felt it was appropriate since it was Memorial Day. We've had some interesting conversations on twitter, and I believe we met through Six Word Saturday. If your coming over here from there, welcome! I hope I can answer some questions in this post to help you understand the one he featured "I'm ok"

I wrote this after my husband (Vx) left for deployment. He's in the Army Reserves, like the National Guard, normally Reservist serve one weekend a month, two weeks a year. There are some out there that are full time Reservist (report for duty almost every day), and there is my husband's current unit, they are instructors, instead of going to drill every month, they teach classes for about 2 weeks at a time every few months; they can be ordered to deploy, like the Active Army. In his former units (the 'one weekend a month/2 weeks a year' ones), he had been told numerous times before that he's deploying, and then someone changed their mind. People would keep asking me and him, "When are you leaving?" and we would keep telling them, "In a few months," but then something would happen and he wouldn't go. He really wants to deploy! I wanted to live on my own before we got married and I didn't, so I wanted him to go because he wanted to and I wanted to live on my own. Finally a unit (I called Salsa) came along, and this time it really did seem like it was real. He left for the mob site (where they go to get their final items issued, medical checks, and training) right before the I'm ok post, his next destination was supposed to be Iraqistan (we didn't know the exact location at the time). At the mob site, a dentist said he needed to come back home to get his teeth fixed, or as I called it, he was too lazy to do it himself, so they flew him back home 3 weeks later, while I was busy at work. His unit got in trouble during that time, and he wasn't allowed to deploy after all. He still hasn't deployed and it doesn't look like he will anytime soon.

Sometimes I forget that I had another blog that I made private, so I write stuff not realizing
there's no point of reference. October 2007 I was in a car wreck, I broke my left femur, had broken glass in my face, and suffered head trauma and short term memory loss. I don't remember the accident, most of my 11 day hospital stay, and other things that have happened since then (I still have some memory problems). While my husband has insurance through the Army (Tricare), getting me covered on it costs too much, & my job doesn't provide benefits for me (I'm considered part-time). I am part Native American, so I can get cheap or free health care through their clinics and a hospital about an hour away. Living in Oklahoma, where many tribes are located, this helps me out greatly in that matter. It's not the greatest health care, but it's better than nothing.

My job: I'm a security guard for an "event center" where they hold a variety of events. This last week is a great example: I started Friday before last watching some semi trucks and trailers for an auction, then I moved to an arena for a horse/cow show, watching merchandise and not allowing competitors or others inside until certain times (one area opened before the others), then I moved to another building for a dog show. As a music lover, obviously I love working concerts, but I have trouble standing around, and being a smaller woman has its disadvantages as well. This particular event, I was supposed to watch a stage and it's sound equipment, but another co-worker who was trying to get some time off from his full-time job couldn't, so I was moved to his post since it was a bigger deal (watching merchandise and a car inside a tent). I showed up 2 1/2 hours early to my job to see Shinedown perform live, despite the cold, it was a great concert! They're not a local band, but when they were starting out, they played shows here a few times a year, until they became a bigger name and started selling out those places immediately.

I hope I answered any questions you may have, if not, feel free to leave a comment, email me silvrstar@gmail.com or if your on twitter, @silvrstar. Again, thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

D.A. Schweiss said...

Thank you, Silver Star! I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I know that it can take years to recover from something like that (if one ever does, fully). Thanks for filling in some of the blanks.

D.A. Schweiss (@QuietRumbling)