Sunday, May 31, 2009

What excitement and tons of horse terminology

Exciting night! After Vx and I came home f/a restaurant, we were out in the parking lot putting our new tags on our vehicles (nothing special, the state just changed them). When we were working on his(it's tougher to change than mine), we saw a car chase through our apartment parking lot! The driver wasn't going terribly fast, but faster than you should in a parking lot w/dips and speed bumps. Everyone came out of their apt's, kids rode their bikes into the neighborhood behind us (where the suspect went), the police chopper flew over us several times, in the six years I've lived here, there's never been this much excitement EVER! If that wasn't enough, when I got to work, a nearby baseball field was shooting off fireworks! I went down to the apron and watched all the pretty colors.

For the non-horse racing people, wikipedia defines An apron of a racetrack is the part going around the track below the yellow line. In more simpler terms, it's this paved area where you can stand next to the track to see the races real close, the winner's circle is also located there. At FMT, there's also areas there where you can place bets, food and drink concessions (w/ or w/o alcohol), a few chairs, plants, and simulcast of those races and maybe a few others as well. FMT cordinates w/this baseball field so races aren't being ran while the fireworks are going off. For people who don't know this, most horses are easily spooked, especially horses that are pumped w/vitamins *coughdrugscough* which in turn can injure or kill the jockey riding them. Some have been trained so things don't bother them (Budweiser Clydesdales are a great example), many (like Bud's horses) also wear blinkers (also known as blinders or "winkers," used to restrict the horse's vision). Wow! I have learned more than I realised from ES and FMT, if only I knew more about the other events I've worked at (how to speak Spanish, guns, cars, home and garden, etc.). Ok, no more information overload, I need to finish some things up and go to bed, goodnight/day y'all!

No comments: